The S.S. Slocan sternwheeler at 578 tons provided two round trips daily beginning May 24, 1897 between Slocan and the isolated N&S (CPR) train to Nakusp. This photo shows the railbarge, the Slocan and Sharp Creek with the New Denver Glacier high in the mountains across from the shores of New Denver. It looks like the photo is taken somewhere Bellevue St. Indian canoes were the original vessels of exploration. Boating and fishing has always been popular on the lake. Dr. Brouse, the town doctor in the early 1900's had a boat which is currently on display at the New Denver Museum.